The initiative is related on reducing and preventing packaging waste at the source,
from the producer to the consumer, giving the opportunity to use new biobased fishing boxes.
The initiative wants to :
1. Raise awareness of both the public and institutions concerning the sources and consequences of plastic
pollution in particular in the fishing sector.
2. Support the implementation of regulations concerning plastic, in particular in the municipalities involved in the
initiative in order to organise a correct waste management and reduce waste transforming packaging in
3. Generate synergy between the various players involved in “plastic” in order to facilitate the implementation of
concrete solutions to combat plastic pollution, in particular showing the opportunity to use new biodegradable
4. Arise awareness and involvement of sea users (wholesalers, sea food industries, local communities, waste
management companies, etc.) to limit the use of plastic in their activities (fishing, aquaculture, selling, waste
5. Disseminating and deploying the innovations in the packaging sector in order to limit the production and the
use of plastic in the marine field.
Organisation of 2 workshops in order to raise awareness concerning plastic pollution among the local stakeholders
1. Workshop City of Martinsicuro (TE) (Abruzzo Region) Small scale fishery market City Hall 19th May 2017 16.30
2. Workshop in Barcellona (Spain) 30 June 2017 (Sala d'Actes Museu Marítim de Barcelona 11.00 )
During the workshops where will be involved all the stakeholders (municipalities, stakeholders, waste management
company, sea food wholesalers, etc) will be illustrated the following arguments:
The marine litter and the pastic pollution problem.
The environmental impact of the use of plastic in fishing and aquaculture activities.
The solutions available for reducing plastic in the sea and on the coast line.
During the workshops will be developed charters with local authorities in order to involve them in the fight against
plastic pollution, henancing the importance of partnerships with economic players involved in packaging and waste