NOTE: this section is being updated for 2015, check back!
Help the ocean. We can all do something to protect our ocean! Get out in your community, or make a promise to change something in your life
Take a photo. Show the world how you’re helping your community; with a promise, at your favorite nature spot, or whatever you want!
Share it with the world! Post to Twitter, Facebook, or other social media platform and tag it #WorldOceansDay.
You can make a sign with your promise, or just take a photo of yourself somewhere special! Just mention your promise in the text of your post.
If you’d like help sharing your photo, send an email and we’ll do the rest.
World Oceans Day event organizers – visit this page for tips on how to ask for promises at your event. Help everyone who attends your event take ocean conservation personally!
Not sure what to promise?
Here’s what other people are doing:
- I promise to use reusable bags at the grocery store
- I promise to use a reusable water bottle
- I promise to not eat meat on Mondays
- I promise to take shorter showers
- I promise to take public transportation to school/work once a week
- I promise to only eat sustainably caught or farmed seafood
- I promise to shop a thrift store first instead of buying new
- I promise to unplug my electronic chargers when not using them
- I promise to turn off all the lights and the heat or A/C when I leave my house
- I promise to bike instead of drive for at least one errand a week
- I promise to participate in a litter cleanup
- I promise to not use toxic pesticides on my garden or lawn
Make a difference
We support people getting involved on whatever level they can handle, but we especially encourage people to do something measurable for the ocean. Here are some ideas:
Sustainable seafood: Use your influence as a consumer to make a real difference! Grocery stores and restaurants have the power to influence how sustainably seafood is fished or farmed, so support those that make the right choices. Take your selfie for the sea at your favorite venue that serves or sells sustainable seafood – and then tag them in it so they know you appreciate them! The Seafood Watch app for your smartphone makes it easy to choose right and find businesses committed to sustainable seafood.
Clean energy: You can help reduce carbon pollution that is harming our ocean. Take a selfie doing something positive – like using your bike instead of driving, planting a tree, unplugging your unused electronics, choosing renewable power – to keep our coral reef and other ocean friends safe.
Clean coasts: Take a selfie at your favorite waterway or beach – or, even better, at a cleanup! Your local waterways (and any trash in them) all lead to the ocean, so preventing pollution in your local community helps people and animals who rely on the ocean everywhere. You can also stop more junk mail from being created and shipped by signing up for the 41pounds junk mail reduction plan – you and the planet both win!
How to tag us
- On Facebook tag us @World Oceans Day, or post it on our Facebook page
- On Twitter tag us @CelebrateOceans
- For Instagram tag with #WorldOceansDay
Are you on Flickr? Upload to our Group![slickr-flickr group=”ocean_promise” items=”20″ type=”galleria” orientation=”landscape” size=”medium”]