Did you know that we have explored less than 5% of our oceans? Even though there is so much more to explore and learn about the oceans, there is an abundance of knowledge to share about the sea and its inhabitants. This World Oceans Day, teach others not only about the incredible marine life below the surface, but also about the importance of the ocean and its role in our everyday lives. Educators have an especially unique opportunity to teach the next generation why it’s important to keep our oceans healthy for the future. Incorporate ocean focused lessons into your curriculum this year with the ideas and resources below.
Ocean-Related Lesson Plans
Celebrate World Oceans Day in your classroom or education center with a number of lesson plans:
- The Sea Change Ocean EDGE Directory holds a collection of educational resources and activities for a variety of audiences. The materials are downloadable and include both formal and informal learning resources.
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has a variety of resources for educators. Their Ocean Today website features videos of ocean exploration and marine life that are perfect to watch in the classroom.
- The Bridge was developed by the National Marine Educators Association and NOAA’s Sea Grant program. The Bridge is a growing database of marine education resources with information on national, international, and regional marine science topics.
- The European Marine Science Educators Association has a list of good practices in European marine education. This list includes teaching materials and resources in a number of languages.
- The Marine Education Society of Australasia compiled a collection of teachers resources that include information about specific marine species and environments.
- Ocean Portal developed by the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History has an Educator’s Corner with lessons and educational resources that will bring the ocean to life for your students!
- Finally, the California Academy of Sciences has a number of ocean focused lesson plans including:
Take a field trip!
Your students will love to get out of the classroom and explore a local marine ecosystem or visit an aquarium. Visit the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums to find a zoo or aquarium near you.
The World Oceans Day Activity Booklet
This free and downloadable World Oceans Day Activity Booklet contains a collection of activities, each including materials lists and learning objectives. Submitted by educators, it has great ideas for connecting your visitors and students to the ocean and conservation action.
More event ideas can be found on the School Outreach page in the World Oceans Day event planning guide. Let us know how your school or education center is celebrating World Oceans Day by submitting it online where we will add to the worldwide map and share with the world!