Clean the beach and save our turtles ! ! #cleanforturtles2018
This is your chance to do something for our local environment and possibly save a Green Sea Turtle by your actions. Every year the beach at ShamWan on south Lamma Island is closed to the public for five months (end May to end October) so the rare and endangered Green Sea Turtles can come ashore and lay their eggs. Sadly, the shallow water and sandy beach has become so polluted that if any turtle was to come ashore it would have to fight its way through years of micro plastic and marine trash before it can even start digging a nest to lay its eggs in. Do something now - help save these graceful marine animals before they are all gone.
We will be cleaning the area At ShekPaiWan which is next to ShanWan so as to stop any of the trash at this beach from reaching the turtle beach.
WHEN: Sunday, 27th May 2018; 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
START: Central Pier No.4, Take 10:20am ferry to Sok Kwu Wan
We need volunteers that "Walk the Walk and Talk the Talk" and are willing to walk to ShekPaiWan next to Turtle Beach (Sham Wan - Lamma Island) and clean the trash off the beach before the typhoons and tides blow it all around to where the turtles lay their eggs.
Turtle Beach (Sham Wan) on Lamma Island is closed to the public every year from the end of May until the end of October. This will be our last chance to visit the beach prior to it being closed to the public three days later.
This is a truly magical place and the only regular nesting beach for the green sea turtles so this will provide you with an opportunity to help protect an endangered species; keep Hong Kong that little bit cleaner, as well as a hike to this wonderful and remote beach. Please sign up to help keep our home clean!
Schedule for the day:
• Meet outside Pier 4 in Central at 10:00 am.
• Take 10:20 am ferry to Sok Kwu Wan (left-hand side of the pier).
• Regroup at Sok Kwu Wan to start the hike towards Sham Wan Beach.
• Easy, scenic hike through Mo Tat, Yung Shue Ha, and to ShekPaiWan. The hike should take around an hour. Please bring at least 2 liters of water and/or energy drink with you, as well as sunblock and a hat. Even though we'll be at a beach, please wear appropriate hiking clothes, ie: don't wear sandals!
• Arrive at Sham Wan beach around 12:00AM and start CLEANING!!!! We'll spend about 1 1/2 to 2 hours beautifying the beach. Additionally, we will be traveling through a three-hundred-year-old village and will have a chance to visit a rare "air raid" shelter built by the Japanese during World War Two
• There are frequent ferries back to Central ferry pier from Sok Kwu Wan Pier should you wish to leave early (2:35PM, 4:05PM & 5:35PM - allow 1 hour to arrive at ferry pier from Sham Wan)
This is a family friendly educational day and we encourage you to bring your family and friends for this worthwhile event in one of the rarest and unique parts of Hong Kong.
NOTICE TO ALL PARTICIPANTS:
• Please ensure you bring sufficient snacks and water to last you for 3-4 hours of outdoor activity.
• Please take all safety precautions by wearing appropriate clothing/shoes and bringing any other necessary personal items.
• Intended participants should consider carefully whether they wish to take part in the event as no accident insurance will be provided. Therefore, in case of an accident, the organizer will not bear any legal liability.
• The Environmental and Hygiene Department will provide the necessary gloves and garbage bags in support of the cleanup.
(Images - AFCD & HKFP)